Tuesday, February 2, 2010
introductions, syllabus, self assessment
- work to make final rules,
- stenography rule set
- figure out font style, look and feel, and sketch sketch sketch
- research linguistics, dictionaries
- draw letters - 23
- draw letters - 22
- start digitizing
- layout writing manual
- digitize and spacing, kerning, metrics
- spacing kerning, metrics
- start making samples
- movie poster
- package piece
- restaurant signage
- writing manual
- symposium prep
I’m developing a hybrid writing system and a typeface that combines English consonants and Hindi vowels and accents. It is meant for designers to use as an expressive element to attract Hinglish speakers and can work as a great identity building tool.
To further help designers to put this system into practical use I will also design one typeface that supports this writing system called HybridMasala.otf
1) Writing system with a user manual and guidelines
2) Typeface with booklet and usage samples
3) Website to explain the writing system and distribute the font.
1) For writing system : simplicity, clarity and consistency
2) For typeface: a modern approach that speaks to the youth culture in India. Not too traditional and Indian looking, more contemporary.
- Units to a whole.
- rules to make a system,
- letters to make a working font.
- conceptually designing a system that is understood by the bilingual audience
- drawing and digitizing letterforms and most importantly figuring out the spacing.
- packaging of the manual and typeface via the website and printed samples so that it easy to comprehend and enticing to use.