Friday, February 26, 2010
Entry from Backside only - Binoo J John, pg 5-6, Penguin Books India 2007
"The problem of confronting and adopting or mastering the English Language has been with India.. for over four centuries, and still continues. A hybrid form of English or Hinglish stalks the land and is not only accepted but quite popular. Use of a few English words like 'tension' and 'ready' in an otherwise Hindi conversation shows the connect witht he larger world or at least smacks of some level of ambition and erudition. Though Indians prefer to speak in one of about thirty languages that are their monther tongues, most documents are written in English, even inr emote villages which makes necessity the mother of invention, giving rise to a hybrid form of the written language. When it comes to the hand that writes, there is a sense of apprehension about the usage, but the document comes out in English nevertheless. When it comes to putting pen to paper, or paint-brush to hoardings, Hindi is discarded for what is seen as a higher form of communication..."
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
1. You also need to put in Rule NO. 3 -
WORDS ARE SPELLED IN ROMAN LETTERS ONLY WITH USING HINDI MATRAS ..BE IT A HINDI WORD OR A ENGLISH WORD
road - english word still used in roman using hindi matra
2. G please write with full curve going up and the small bar
( may be you can write all the alphabets using the top bar then it will become clear which looks proper and dosenot look like a hindi word )
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
introductions, syllabus, self assessment
- work to make final rules,
- stenography rule set
- figure out font style, look and feel, and sketch sketch sketch
- research linguistics, dictionaries
- draw letters - 23
- draw letters - 22
- start digitizing
- layout writing manual
- digitize and spacing, kerning, metrics
- spacing kerning, metrics
- start making samples
- movie poster
- package piece
- restaurant signage
- writing manual
- symposium prep
I’m developing a hybrid writing system and a typeface that combines English consonants and Hindi vowels and accents. It is meant for designers to use as an expressive element to attract Hinglish speakers and can work as a great identity building tool.
To further help designers to put this system into practical use I will also design one typeface that supports this writing system called HybridMasala.otf
1) Writing system with a user manual and guidelines
2) Typeface with booklet and usage samples
3) Website to explain the writing system and distribute the font.
1) For writing system : simplicity, clarity and consistency
2) For typeface: a modern approach that speaks to the youth culture in India. Not too traditional and Indian looking, more contemporary.
- Units to a whole.
- rules to make a system,
- letters to make a working font.
- conceptually designing a system that is understood by the bilingual audience
- drawing and digitizing letterforms and most importantly figuring out the spacing.
- packaging of the manual and typeface via the website and printed samples so that it easy to comprehend and enticing to use.