Friday, December 18, 2009

Font Design - as a small study for my thesis



This is a font that I have designed for my Display Lettering class. I am calling it Curve.

Curve Medium
is a San Serif display font. One end of a stroke in each letter is curved thereby giving it its name.
I was trying to make a font with well-balanced proportions. Special attention was paid to vary the x-heights, the stem and the stroke widths of each letter to make it more legible and visually elegant. I wanted this font to be functional and have an amiable feel to it so that it seems welcoming and approachable. The curve in each letter was a subtle stylistic measure to make the San Serif less sharp and obtuse.


WHAT I LEARNT:
While this is not what Hybrid Masala Font is going to be like but going through the process of designing this font has taught me a lot about
- drawing letter forms by hand
- translating the sketches onto illustrator
- using fontlab to convert the illustrator eps and generating a font
- I have learnt about kerning, metrics and positioning and aligning letters in fontlab
- also I have begun to study composite characters and this directly relates to my thesis project as the hindi accents will be added to English letterforms as composite characters.

No comments: