Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Artist's Statement

As a graphic designer entering the realm of web design, motion graphics and interactive design I am deeply interested in color, form, shape, texture, repetition, patterns and how these are changed over time.

I find patterns in the visual context and in the larger realm of the universe such as echoes, seasons, fractals very intriguing. They are precise, mathematical, predictable, repetitive and yet surprising – this appeals to me. Studying the internal relation between units within a pattern and how that affects the relation between the unit and the whole is interesting to me. I would like to explore how these relationships can be used to create complex yet harmonious visual systems and unified designs.

I grew up in India where I completed my schooling. I have a BFA in Graphic Design, from Rhode Island School of Design. Majority of my work has been print based and I have developed strong skills in typography and color with a good understanding of design principles. I have grown to really appreciate the medium of print and find it rewarding that one can have a tangible piece as a result.

Today the Web, interactivity and motion graphics have become a major part of our visual culture and they have drawn my interest to factors such as time, rhythm, pacing and audience interaction. I want to explore how these new factors can enhance my work and give it a new dimension. In order to study these mediums and design with an innovative approach I am pursuing an MFA in Design and Technology at Parsons .

No comments: